Monday, August 23, 2004

Relatives, friends, treats, money & Best Friends

It was a lovely week long vacation. I reached by Charminar express on 14th. I went by bus to Thiruvanmiyur, then by another bus to Vijaynagar and then took an auto home. That day was the most pleasant in terms of temperature. I met a junior, from school, in the bus who told me that the present 11th and 12th std students of my school are planning a trip to Hyderabad in October. I was initially happy but then I was told that they would be accompanied by a certain Mr.can't-reveal-the-name and my mood changed completely. I cannot stand even the sight of this person. So I'm not really looking forward to their visit but I'm sure they'll enjoy the trip because their choice of the place to visit is really good.

I spoke to a few friends and relatives on phone. Then, Shankar and I went to the beach and although we'd met after just 3 months it seemed like a really long time. The next day was the Landmark Quiz. I met a lot of friends and had a really good time. I'm sure you all, by now, know what happened to my team in the prelims (If you are not a regular visitor to this blog, we did not qualify); we did pretty well though.

The next day was the beginning of a 4 day ordeal at Loyola to obtain my cumulative marksheet, TC and the provisional degree certificate. In the end I was successful in getting only the first one. I met a lot of juniors and met Sharad almost all the four days. He also wrote 2 cds full of blissful music for me. One has just The Beatles and the other has The Beatles, Dire Straits, John Denver and some other amazing 60s and 70s numbers(some of the bands are Lovin' Spoonful, Gerry & the Pacemakers and The Monkees).

I treated quite a few friends and it was a nice feeling because they're all students and I'm a "working professional". They might be enjoying being students and I might miss college & college life but still it feels great to be earning. Only regret on this trip was that I couldnt meet two friends who are leaving next month to UK and I don't know when I'll meet them again and whether I'll meet them ever. And the biggest blunder of the trip was not having called Laxi...he will be furious when he knows that I was in Madras for a week and didn't even call him.

Saturday 21st night was good. Shankar, Hemanth and I were at the beach for a long time just chatting away to glory before we finally bid farewell. Next day, I left by Charminar Express and got back this morning.

There was actually nothing extra ordinary about this trip but I enjoyed it and learnt a lot about people, friends and Best Friends.

One Crazy Meeting: A guy (complete stranger) sitting next to me on the bus asked me about call centers, technical call centers and how the jobs in these are. After talking for about 5 minutes he told me he was a Computer Science Engineer and was going for an interview to a call center!!!

Memorable Evening: 17th.

About Madras: It is terribly Hot & Humid. Please don't go there unless your parents, a lot of friends and the best of your friends live there.

Read "Five Dollar Smile and other short stories" by Shashi Tharoor, a fellow disciple of the master P.G.W. Before this, I had read only his articles in The Hindu. This collection of stories was really good and I think I'll surely try and read most, if not all, of his books . Most of his stories revolve around life at St.Stephens, Delhi and I found a lot of similarities between that and life at Loyola, Madras. The only problem is that his stories are dated 1970,71...and it seems similar to life at Loyola in the 21st century!....lol

And Kannan (i know he's not reading this): Thanks for the Morrison & Boyd !!






2 Comments:

Blogger SV said...

Namaste Ji,

So ensaied Chennai trip eh? I wonder what happened on the 17th ! Hmmm...

Special thanks for sponsoring Pani Puri and Channa Samosa @ Gupta Chats AND the Legendary Anjappar Chicken Biriyani.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still in the thoughts about home... A trip to homeplace is always extraordinary frieind. Meeting with friends, eating at home and seeing all the familiar places again and again.
Now that u r back, looking to see you at the next orkut meet.

harsha.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home