Saturday, August 28, 2004

Cooking Oils

No! I'm not going to discuss the various varieties of cooking oils and their qualities. I'm going to talk about the use of oil in cooking. Something which our cook, Saraswathi, does not have a clear idea about (i wish she could read this blog!!). We add oils to our dishes for better taste, better texture and because Indian cooking requires the use of oils. But as far as Saraswathi is concerned the primary and most important ingredient in cooking is huile.

She's been cooking at our house (for 4 people) for two weeks now and she has successfully finished 2 litres of Sundrop refined oil!!

Today I had oil rasam and oil curry (with some snake gourd in it). I think I have had more oil in the past week than what I usually have in about 2 months or so. We actually think she's using so much oil only because she has access to the bottle itself. So we've devised a strategy :) - buy a small container with a very small opening so that she can pour less at a time. And everytime the container needs to be refilled, one of us will do the honours.

I tried to explain to her that first of all I'm not the Sultan of Brunei or Saudi Arabia, nor am I the President of the US...Money doesn't mean petro-dollars to me, it means INR. Second of all, I already have a paunch and do not want to nurture it. Third of all, my friends (roomies) said we should have home cooked food because it is healthier and I thought they really meant it. And last (certainly not the least) of all, I'm not getting paid by Sundrop to use or endorse (on my blog) their product (remember the Idhayam Gingelly Oil ad with Jyothika in it ??).

I really hope she understands!!!...

Immediate plan of action: I'm switching to a diet consisting bread, curd and fresh fruits & vegetables for some days now...to bring my system back to equilibrium!!

Thought for the day: Too much oil in his food, makes abhi a..... suggestions please!!!




1 Comments:

Blogger Abhimanyu said...

something struck me just now.... In Hindi NUNE (pronounce like dune) means minimum and in Telugu NOONA means oil...what a paradox !!

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home